Recipe – Australian Meat Pie
All you needs is:
1 pound of ground beef
2 beef stock cubes
1/4 cup of tomato sauce/paste
1 pie crust dough (leave room temp)
1 puff pastry dough (leave room temp)
3 tablespoons of plain flour
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce for flavor
pinch of salt / pepper
1 cup of water
1 egg for glazing
Tools: oven, frying pan, large baking pan/pie pan, measuring cups and spoons
Some recipes use 2 puff pasty sheets which makes it super flaky pie. But I prefer 1 pie crust on bottom and puff pasty on top to give it more texture and it’s more economical. I estimate that the recipe takes about 1 hour total. It takes about 25 min to prep, 40 min to cook. It serves 4-6 people depending how much you all eat.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, do this now because if your oven like mine it will take forever to preheat!
- Chop up the onion into fine pieces
- Brown the chopped onion and ground beef in the frying pan until meat is cooked
- Add 3/4 cup of water, stock cubes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and tomato sauce to the meat and onion mixture, then stir
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Everything should be bubbling and juicy now!
- Blending in the flour and remaining water to the mixture, boil for 5 more minutes
- The flour gives thickens the mixture and absorbs some of the juices
- After that, turn off the stove and let it all cool down
- Roll out your pie crust
- Line your baking pan with pie crust on bottom
- Fill your pan with the slightly cooled mixture
- Roll out pastry crust and pinch the 2 crust together
- I used a large baking pan but you could use a pie pan, it’s just what I had available at the time
- Crack open your egg and use a brush/spoon to glaze the top of crust
- Your oven should have been preheated as I told you earlier to do so
- Put that sucker into the oven at 400 degrees for about 40 mins
- Set a timer and go do whatever your heart desires as long as it doesn’t take longer than 40 minutes
- Check to see if the crust has turned golden brown because that’s the indicator that it’s done since the meat already cooked from earlier
- Enjoy and add ketchup as you desire 🙂
My friend also made a vegetarian version of this meat pie. How do you do this?
Well she replaced the ground beef with imitation vegetarian meat and you can either omit the beef stock cubes or use vegetable ones. It was also very tasty!
« Recap – 2013 iFabbo SF Blogger Conference Skincare – Review – Melvita Nectar de Roses Hydratant »